Red Panda Rakesh dies at Greater Vancouver Zoo

Rakesh, a male Red Panda at the Greater Vancouver Zoo in Aldergrove (British Columbia, Canada), has died. He was infected with Blastomycosis. This lung infection is caused by a fungus found in decaying organic matter such as wood and leaves. Most cases are caused by inhalation of spores from a soil source.

It is most likely that Rakesh was infected before he arrived with his brother Arun at the Greater Vancouver Zoo two months ago.

“As required under AZA and CAZA protocols, Rakesh and Arun were immediately quarantined upon their arrival. GVZ’s new quarantine facility provides a safe environment for animals awaiting introduction into the zoo population and did not have any exposure to any soil source since arrival.”

Arun now gets medical treatment by a veterinarian as a precaution. Further tests are conducted.